Friday, August 13, 2010

Baby Daddy Update

This is Keith, and I have hijacked Stephanie's blog. I may do this from time to time, especially when she is not feeling well so that we can keep the updates coming. So, here are my thoughts:

**After our first sonogram when we found out we were having triplets, Steph and I both called our parents. My folks didn't believe me, so I had to put Stephanie on the phone (I guess they trust her). When Steph told her mom, Barbara just said "You know God is not going to give ya'll more than you can handle." Steph's immediate response was "Well, He sure does think an awful lot of us." That's classic Stephanie! The truth is Stephanie is going to be a terrific mother. Since the moment I met her, I have known this. There is no doubt about it, these three babies are going to have the best mother a kid could have.

**We are fortunate that my former youth minister Lance Morrisett and his wife Jennifer recently had beautiful healthy quadruplets. (read their story here) They have already offered to help us out in a number of ways, but most importantly they have offered their prayers and advice. One of the big things Lance recommended to me was that we buy the book When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke. Steph and I have both been reading through the book, and I have to say it is absolutely fascinating. Here are a few things we have learned so far that I find really interesting:
--The male's family history has no bearing on the chances of having multiples.
--Two factors that have had an impact on the rising rate of multiples are: infertility drugs and women becoming pregnant later in life
--While only 1/3 of women of singletons experience nausea during pregnancy, more than half of mothers of multiples experience it
--Being pregnant with triplets, Steph will need to consume 4,000 calories per day to meet her nutrient requirements
--Ice cream is a perfectly okay for a pregnant mother, especially before bed (dairy products are digested more slowly so they help prevent hunger pangs during the night).
--And, this is the best--during weeks 7 and 8, the babies eyes develop and become pigmented. They also start to develop fingers, ears and toes. I get really excited when I think about this!!

4 comments:

  1. So very excited for you both. Prayers are being offered for all 5 of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post, Keith! What an amazing time. --Matt and Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh.....I love reading this blog! We are praying for you all. I understand Stephanie's pain with the sickness. I was a part of that 1/3 of single pregnancies that was sick, sick, sick. But 4,000 calories a day was the most shocking fact.....holy moly. She may have to get creative to eat that much. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete