Monday, February 14, 2011

Whirlwind

What a week! I went into the hospital on Tuesday to stay and be monitored for my preeclampsia until the babies were born. We walked into the room I would stay in and it was BIG and nice. Almost like a hotel room but w/ medical stuff. They had told me I would have to put an IV in but not connect it to anything (this was one of my fears going into the hospital). There was a medical student helping the nurse and she was the one to insert my IV. Poor lady, I think she was very nervous. I thought this because her hands were shaking...alot! All I could do was look away and pray she got it the first time. She did awesome!

I had my first lunch of cafeteria quesadillas which weren't that bad. Then my parents came a brought me Taco Bell which was lunch number two. ( Now I am slowly adjusting to less daily meals). After a few hours my parents left a got up to go the the bathroom and looked down and I was bleeding a good amount.

"Keith.....I'm bleeding?!?"
"I will call the nurse!"
" You should probably call my parents too!"

At this moment Keith thought something was wrong w/ the babies. I thought labor was going to begin soon.

The nurse came to check it all out and call the doctor. They decided to put a catheter in.... most of the time in a c-section this happens when you are numb. However I got the joy of feeling everything. AND it was extra uncomfortable because the little balloon thing that holds it in...well Keegan thought this was a punching bag.

I began to have contractions pretty quickly after that and started to dilate pretty fast. I also got extremely hot (I was hot already and made the nurse turn down the thermostat as far as possible). I was sweating, Keegan was punching my catheter, the contractions were getting stronger each time...and I had to wait until all my liquid from the IV was in me and it was going so SLOW!! Keith did a great job of trying to keep me calm and he even fanned me for while I waited...which made a huge difference.

Soon I was off to the bright, steamy hot, sterile looking room with TONS of people in there. It was time for my spinal and I was soooo ready for it! I sat up on the bed and they said lean over and arch your back...uhhhh really? I have three babies in me I can't bend or arch anything. Needless to say they had trouble giving me my spinal and I got several "bee stings"...finally they got it and we were on our way.

Within minutes the babies were out crying and off to the NICU. As I was been sewn and glued up I got really tired and I was trying my hardest not to go to sleep.

The rest of the night was as big blur with nurses coming and going and things happening to me that I know I would be pretty embarrassed about if I wasn't numb, woozy, and tired.

A few things I have learned...

C-Sections are awesome however I never realized how long it would take to recover. I am still in a good amount of pain. I figure... a) I am a wuss b) No one talks about the recovery c) Since carrying triplets I was really stretched and it just has made it worse.

Breast pumping is really frustrating and a lot of work. You wouldn't think it would be but it is! I have to pump every three hours...that means I have to get up a lot in the middle of the night ( I know I will when the babies are here but why can't I get my sleep while I still can?) Also getting milk at first is a slow and long process of many days. And not having your babies with you makes it a lot harder. Apparently when you are with your babies your milk hormones start working...and when your not they are not. So its been kind of a slow and frustrating thing for me.

Being away from our babies is hard. Right now, honestly I don't feel like a mommy because I can't be with them a lot and can't really care for them. I told Keith the other day that I missed them in my belly. Then they were with me and I knew what they were doing...well sorta.

Anyways....I am sure I will learn a lot more every day! But that was kinda my take on the week.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love all the details! It's hard to believe that back in 2002 I was reading your blogs about stuff that mattered then, haha, and then now it's about you giving birth to triplets. My how things have changed drastically!!!! To say I'm excited for you is an extreme understatement! Thanks for the details and keep them comin' as you can, though I know that will get more difficult as time becomes less and less. I love you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing insight!! Thank you so very much for sharing the process and details with us. It matters a ton to those of us who can't physically be with you. You are so amazing. I hope you realize that and how the Generous Father has equipped you and Keith in many ways. No one else in the entire world could be as perfect of parents to Presley, Ashton and Keegan. You are chosen specifically. How fantastic is that? No one else could do this job better for these babies...YOUR babies. It is beautiful and miraculous. I am so honored to share from miles away, this joy with you. You are supported and prayed for. Love you, Keith and the babies.

    ReplyDelete