Thursday, January 19, 2012

Surviving the cold

Me and Keith were getting ready for bed and watching Parenthood (amazing show!) and I was kinda cold. I noticed that cool air was being blown into our room.  I stuck my hand up and verified that this was reality and not my imagination.  "Keith....I think the heater is broken...it is blowing cold air" And so it began.  During commercial breaks (because we weren't going to miss any Parenthood(you really should watch it)) we looked at the heater pretending there was something we could do to fix it.  I hit it once hoping that might jargon something. Played with the thermostat...on ...off ...cool...heat....off....on... when that didn't work we (and by we I mean Keith) crawled through and jumper over boxes, clothes, and baskets to get to the electrical box thing.  Flipped on and off and few breakers..and nothing.  No heat.

We knew we could tough it out.  We had blankets and some body fat to keep us warm but the babies.  What would happen to the babies!?!?  I was ready to cover them in blankets and let them fend for themselves.  But Keith, the nice one, said "They can't sleep w/ blankets they may suffocate.  There are two windows in their room it will be freezing in there!"  My guilt set in for being selfish and not wanting to share my sleep and bed with them.   So one at a time we brought them in our bed.  Presley didn't wake up right away, Keegan started screaming like someone was pinching him with tweezers, and Ashton got excited and wanted to sit up and look around and bounce.

Some how we got them laid down and covered up.  Presley started crawling around and found my elbow pit.  Nestled her head in it and went to sleep.  Keegan was nestled with daddies and Ashton was laying down nicely next to me....until he wasn't.  He started moving toward Keith and crawling over Keegan and onto Keith moving, patting, nudging.  "I can handle Presley and Keegan if you can take Ashton."  Good trade I thought.  We traded and I got Ashton settled.  

2 toss and turning hours later Ashton is sitting up bouncing up and down.  Saying "ga!" over and over again.  For an hour I tried my best to settle him down and the other babies were starting to wake.

"You wanna just go put them in their bed??"  Keith mumbled.  "UH YES!" We quickly placed them in their bed and covered them up with blankets.  They slept fine.  We slept great.

The heater didn't get fixed the next day so Keith went out and bought  a space heater home.  Space heaters always worry me because you hear of so many fires that start from them.  But we survived another night with out a heater.

(I do understand that those of yall who live up north where it gets below 0 are possibly laughing at our Texas 22 degree lows and our fear of our babies turning to ice figurines)

Today at 10:30 AM our heater is fixed.  Thank you Kevin our landlord and the nice guy who fixed it and explained to me what went wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment